Nothing makes you smile like musical Seussical nonsense!
As we celebrate the birthday of one of America’s most beloved children’s authors, the man who gave us Horton Hears a Who, How the Grinch Stole Christmas and The Cat in the Hat, it seemed only right to celebrate with a collection of quotes from Dr. Seuss himself.
Some of them you may recognize. Some of them you may not. And if there are any that aren’t here that you think ought to be, don’t hesitate to add them on below!
- “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is You-er than You.”
- “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
- “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”
- “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.”
- “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
- “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready, you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”
- “A person’s a person, no matter how small.”
- “If you’d never been born, then you might be an Isn’t! An Isn’t has no fun at all. No, he disn’t.”
- “ASAP. Whatever that means. It must mean, ‘Act swiftly awesome pachyderm!”
- “I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living. It’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do. And that enables you to laugh at life’s realities.”
- “Look at me! Look at me! Look at me NOW! It is fun to have fun But you have to know how.”
- “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You’re on your own, and you know what you know. YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go.”
- “And the turtles, of course…all the turtles are free, as turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be.”
- “So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact. And remember that life’s a Great Balancing Act. And will you succeed? Yes! You will indeed! (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed.) Kid, you’ll move mountains.”
- “If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.”
- “Oh, the things you can find if you don’t stay behind!”
And my personal favorite: